Caíthlyn's Blog

Blogging about our Little Miss. Family 2 pregnancy

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Potty Training

After the turn of "toilet-going events", I was not sure what to do in regards to the whole potty training thing. For some (incredibly stupid) reason I had it in my mind that the issue would resolve it's self as soon as were back home. I even went so far as to take Little Miss to the shops to buy lots of new "Big Girl Underpants" She has a "Dora the Explorer" book on Potty Training and one of the sentences in that is: "Big girls don't wear Nappies!"
So in the car it was:

"What are we getting?"
"BIG GIRL PANTS!!"
"'Cause big girls don't wear??"

"HAMMIES!!" (her word for Nappies)

In the shop, I made a big deal of the pants, she got to pick which ones she wanted. And I got her all the ones she wanted. You want both kinds? You shall have both kinds! 'Cause buying your first big girl pants is an Event! And this will be fun! And without Stress! Also got her a cute new dress as I figured it would be easier to hike up quickly for the potty dashes!

That first day, she did tell me a few times that she needed to go Tinkle, but we also had, the to be expected, accidents. The thing was: it was just too early. She was emotionally completely out of whack. She cried allot the first few days we were back. And the thing was: she wanted her Daddy. She would scream, rant and rave that she wanted her Daddy, she would cry when she had to go number two and I couldn't help her because, well, I am not Daddy.

So, to preserve all of our sanities, we decided to leave the whole potty training thing for a while. Just until we were all back in to our routines.

I am delighted to say that we are back three weeks, and she is wearing big girl pants all day long now. We have only had two "accidents" in the last 2.5 weeks but they were not really accidents. (One was when she just got so excited about something she was running around and with the laughter things just kind of "went" and the other was when she was wearing her bathing suit and she was already wet. I think the sensation of wet clothing confused her)
She wears a nappy at night now, but we plan on starting to try and get her dry for the night when she goes in to a big girl bed after our holiday.

I am SO proud of her!!