Caíthlyn's Blog

Blogging about our Little Miss. Family 2 pregnancy

Monday, May 15, 2006

Thunderbolts and lightning

Last Friday, a thunderstorm was making it's way over to us. Caíthlyn and I were cleaning upstairs. She always "helps" me when I am doing the upstairs. She will have her own little J-Cloth and wipe over any surface that I have just cleaned. Here's hoping she keeps this love of cleaning!
I had all the windows open as it was a lovely warm day and I wanted to give the place a good airing out.
Mid-hoover, I felt the temperature drop and knew we were in for a bit o' thunda!
Darren and I love a good thunderstorm. He loves it to the point of almost getting struck by lightning when he was admiring nature at work. I enjoy sitting at the open window, or in the open doorway and looking out.
This would be Little Miss' first conscious thunderstorm and I felt strongly that I should do all I could to make the experience fun for her!
"Listen Caíthlyn, thunderrrrrrr" I said in my "Let's go to the playground!" voice. We raced to the bedroom window, where I saw that I had left the sun-roof of my car open! Doh! So after we bolted (heeeeee, bolted, thunderstorm, geddit?) down the stairs, and I closed the sunroof. We went to the sliding doors out the back. I opened them a little and put Little Miss in the chair at the window facing out. I snuggled in behind her and we were all ready to enjoy the storm. Or so I thought.... At the first thunderclap, she told me in a very small voice that she wanted to get away from the window.
I sat down on the sofa, with her in my arms, when the second clap came. She darted off my lap, into her Dora Tent that we had set up in the living room. "I no like thunder" she told me. She peered out from between the little flaps of the tent and waited until she felt it safe to come out.
When more thunder came, she crawled on to my lap again, and under my t-shirt. She maneuvered herself completely inside my t-shirt and at the end of it, it looked like I had two heads. (She peeked out of the top, to check the status on the thunder)
She also seemed to think that the kitchen was a safer place to be. When Daddy came home, and the thunder came back, she told him to come in to the kitchen with her.

I guess Queen was right: Thunderbolts and lightning.... very very frightning...