Caíthlyn's Blog

Blogging about our Little Miss. Family 2 pregnancy

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

"Ayo u!"

The Daddy and I had another night out last Friday. Our third honest to goodness date in almost 2 years. (1 date in her first year and 2 dates in her second, we're getting there people!)
It was like she KNEW she was going to spend the night at Nannies house 'cause man was she a handful all day! I mean, I love her to bits, but I had to resist the urge to check her for Energizer Batteries!
After having dropped Little Miss off at her Nannie's off to Eddie Rockets we went. This is a "Happy Days"-esque kind of Diner complete with red booths, neon-lights, signs that say things like: "Not eating enough is bad for you, not tipping enough is fatal!" huge burgers and chips (fries) that are served to kids in red little baskets. It's obscenely expensive but the Malts are delicious and the fries are lovely so we managed to justify it to ourselves for just this once.
After that we went to see the new "Harry Potter" movie.

Now, I have to admit to being a bit disturbed by this experience. The movie was fine, I though it was well done and I was entertained. The disturbing part however, was that there were kids there as young as 6, maybe 7 years old! The movie is rated for 12's FOR A REASON PEOPLE!!
One example that really made me want to give a woman a piece of my mind was sitting in the row in front of us. A family of a Mam, Dad, Granny and little girl of about 6/7. Towards the end of the movie, where it get's a bit "darker" the little girl crawled on to her mother's lap and sad "Mammie, I'm scared"
Now, for any normal human being that would be a queue to take the child, whose face was wedged in to the mam's shoulder, out of the cinema.
This woman however, DID NOT SHIFT!! Just told her it was all pretend and it was fine.
I was appalled and more than a little disturbed that parents (I heard more kids crying, Darren didn't but I really do have Bat-ears) would traumatize their child because THEY wanted to see the movie!
( You may say that "traumatize" is a harsh word but I remember a sitter letting me watch "Gremlins" when I was young.... took me a very long time before I felt comfortable with the lights out at night! Spent some terrified moments in my bed....)
I was BOILING. Even hissed at the woman to take the poor child out of there, she chose to ignore me...

I can't imagine ever putting Little Miss through something like that. Now, this is not the first time other people's parenting "skills" have baffled me. I am not saying that we are the perfect parents, we make our fair share of mistakes but feeding a child that can not be more than 8 months old strips of McDonalds Cheeseburger which you have chewed first? Or pushing a stroller with a small baby through Dublin City centre while you have a chat with your friends at 22.00 hrs?
Babies in the pram in the blazing sun without a parasol or hat? I don't get it, Just. Don't. Get. It!
Seeing these things makes me want to hug my daughter and hold her close to me and just kiss her little head!

I always tell Little Miss that I love her. She gets hugs and kisses all day long and I tell her "Mammie Loves you baby! I love you so much!" Darren does the same.
She started responding with her own version: "Ayo u!" It's just priceless to hear her say that! It was always in response to us saying it though.
Until a few days ago. Darren was giving her a hug when she said: "Ayo u!" Darren and I were just speechless.
She is such a Honey!

When I have a bit of a lie down on the sofa, she will drape her blankie over me, say "Now Mammie, there!" and give me a "Good Night"-kiss. Sometimes, she will put her pillow next to my head and crawl next to me. Putting her little nose to mine, she will start giggling and messing about. She is just so much FUN!
She will come running from the kitchen shouting " Mammie!! Mammie!! MY Mammie!! MY Mammie!!" Or "Daddy!! Daddy!! MY Daddy!! MY Daddy!!" and just hurl herself in to our arms.

I would catch the moon and the stars for that child if she wanted me too. I really, really would.....